Question : Problem: Very slow browsing on L2TP broadband VPN server

The scenario:

One perfectly functional L2TP broadband Win2003 VPN server with all patches/fixes/updates applied (static public IP). This server is primarily an AutoCAD file server for remote engineers.

There are (so far) three XP clients that have no problems connecting. All clients are accessing the files through 2 mapped drives. Two of the clients take a painfully long time to browse the file server while one can browse as if it were attached to the local LAN (instantaneous). The only difference between them is that the two slow clients have AutoCAD installed, the one client does not. The browsing is equallty slow whether done through AutoCAD or Win Explorer, with & without AutoCAD running.

I have used several LAN monitoring tools on the clients and there are no obvious network issues. Disabling antivirus & firewall and other backgroung programs have no effect. Bypassing the client side routers & port forwarding also have no effect. I am assuming that since the two slow clients have AutoCAD installed, there must be an icon caching issue slowing the browse process, but I have not been able to pinpoint it, nor have I figured out how to stop the caching for the mapped drives.

I've researched the WEB on this issue for a couple of months before coming here and am convinced there is something simple I am overlooking.

Answer : Problem: Very slow browsing on L2TP broadband VPN server

I did a little digging and came up with the following suggestions from various AutoCAD forums. It seems the slow browsing issue is common, however usually only within AutoCAD. Therefore, they may not be any help but thought I would post for interest sake:

-Having AutoCAD's search for digital signatures enabled can slow down browsing in folders with a number of drawings in the same folder.
http://www.hyperpics.com/tipsandtricks/tips.asp?id=154
-In the network adapter's TCP/IP properties under the WINS tab, enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP
-Change the folder view from large icons to list or details. Generating the icons slows browsing
-In the services management console change the "Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service" from automatic to manual and stop the service.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us