Question : Problem: PowerBook 1400 and PCMCIA Ethernet cards

This should be much easier than it has been, but here's the story.  I have a PB1400 that I'm trying to get on my home network.  I have a few different PCMCIA ethernet cards, but none with "drivers".  

I thought that I'd be able to just . . . make them work in the PowerBook.  I guess that I'm spoiled as a Mac user.  I didn't have any trouble making the onboard ethernet work for my 3400 or G3 PowerBooks. . . and any PCMCIA card that I've put into those computers just seem to work.  But for the life of me I can't figure out how to get this on my network, and it's exceptionally frustrating.  I assume this is because the MacOS isn't *looking* for an ethernet device without prompting from a driver, but I've installed all of the "apple" Ethernet drivers into the Extensions folder, etc.

Any thoughts, ideas, etc.  I have a ton of points to give away for answers .. nothin' else to spend them on.  :)

Answer : Problem: PowerBook 1400 and PCMCIA Ethernet cards

Voila!!
You are going to need drivers.  Fortunately, quite a few pc cards have mac drivers.  I would suggest you go to versiontracker and do a search on the manufacturer of your card(s).  If this is unfruitful, check the vendor sites.  If you don't have any luck, you may need to get a card specifically for the mac from asante or farallon or someone like that.

'Luck
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us