Question : Problem: Conflics in Bios with an Compaq Armada 1580DT

Compaq Armada 1580DT - I got a strange conflict when I go into Bios and I can't resolve it. Unknown device does it say. But I disconnected the only device which was connected , Xircom PC networkcard.I haven't got any other device connected. The problem I got is that I want the Parallel port to use ECP mode. But it wont work! The device I want to connect to the parallel port just complane that I must set the parallel port in ECP mode, but it is in ECP mode already! This device works perfect on another computer with Win NT. Please help me to resolve this problem.
Thank you!

Answer : Problem: Conflics in Bios with an Compaq Armada 1580DT

ECP mode often tries to grab DMA 1 or DMA 3, now both these DMAs are heavily in demand, network cards may want one of them, soundcards often want 2 low DMAs out of 0,1 and 3 to enable full duplex recording and playing. So if possible try and get the network card using a higher DMA, 5 or 6, and get the soundcard using DMA 0 and 1, then your ECP should be happy, having DMA 3. You may be able to do this by forcing settings, but it may end up that it would be best to delete the device entry for your network card and soundcard, enable the ECP on DMA 3 then reboot, letting windows sort out the DMAs when it reinstalls the soundcard and nw cards.

regards,

Road Warrior
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us