Question : Problem: Umax Astra 3400 Images Scan White

I'm working on Windows ME with a Umax Astra 3400 scanner.  This scanner has worked fine for a long time but 6 months ago it started scanning images white.  The problem was corrected then but has reappeared.  The problem is I can't remember the process.  It involved removing the scanner driver, upgrading Windows, unplugging the scanner at the USB port and some other steps that I can't remember.  The scanner seems to have everything functioning but images still preview and scan white.  I would like to get a step-by-step process of what to do to get my scanner up and running again.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Answer : Problem: Umax Astra 3400 Images Scan White

try these solutions

Record ID: SC00259

How to I get the preview image back in VistaScan?

1. Unplug the external power cord from the back of scanner.

2. Unplug the USB cable from the back of scanner.

3. Plug only the external power cord into the back of scanner.

4. Wait 10 seconds. 5. Unplug the external power cord from the back of scanner.

6. Wait 3 seconds

7. Plug only the external power cord into the back of scanner.

8. Wait 10 seconds

9. Unplug the external power cord from the back of scanner.

10. Wait 3 seconds

11. Plug only the external power cord into the back of scanner.

12. Wait 10 seconds

13. Unplug the external power cord from the back of scanner.

14. Plug the USB cable into the back of the scanner.

15. Plug the external power cable into the back of the scanner.

16. Restart your computer.

17. Preview image in VistaScan.

18. Previews and scans should appear as normal now.

I assuming you have the vista scan software even though this is for black scans it may resolve your problem

Record ID: SC00266

Explanation Sometimes it is that the preview seems to degrade over time, gradually growing darker each scan. On some older parallel scanners upgrading to the newer VistaScan 3.1 driver can cause black scans. Moving back to your old driver following the instructions is your best course of action in those cases. The problem can also occur with any UMAX scanner if the software calibrates on only one pixel.

Solution
The first step in resolving this problem is to remove the driver and associated files.

Note: For VistaScan 3.1 run the uninstaller from the VistaScan program group first.

Double-click on My Computer icon.

Double-click on C: drive icon.

Click once on the "VistaScan" folder and highlight it, then pull down the FILE menu and choose DELETE.

Double-click on the WINDOWS folder. Inside of the Windows folder you will see 2 to 3 folders named TWAIN, they are: TWAIN (this one does not install on all systems), TWAIN_32, and TWAIN32. highlight And delete the folders as you did above.

In the Windows folder, locate the twain DLL files: TWAIN.DLL, TWAIN32.DLL, TWAIN_32.DLL.

Close out all windows

Click on START > FIND > FILES or FOLDERS. In the NAMED field, type in prescan and click on and click on FIND NOW. The files you are looking for will either be PRESCAN.DIB or PRESCAN3.DIB. Highlights the files which are found, pull down the FILE menu and choose DELETE. If you do not delete the prescan file(s), this will not work. Black scans are usually caused by a corruption of these files.

Close all open windows, click on START > SHUTDOWN and choose RESTART THE COMPUTER and click on OK.

When your computer is back up, press CTRL, ALT, DELETE at the same time only once. Highlight a program other than EXPLORER and SYSTRAY then click on the END TASK button. This might make a second window to open with the choices of END TASK, WAIT, & CANCEL. If this windows does come up, choose END TASK. Repeat this process for all programs, except EXPLORER & SYSTRAY.

Reinstall VistaScan

On VistaScan 3.x, insert the CD, these VistaScan CDs have an AutoRun feature that starts the setup when you insert the CD. When you get to the installation screen, answer the questions until you get to the CHOOSE COMPONENTS screen. Uncheck all the components except for VISTASCAN and continue through the installation. When the installation is complete, reboot the computer.

On VistaScan 2.x, insert the CD into the CD-ROM drive. Double-click on MY COMPUTER. Double-click on your CD-ROM drive letter. Double-click on the VSTASCAN folder. Then double-click on the ENGLISH folder, double-click on DISK1 and double-click on SETUP.EXE (this file will have a small black floppy disk or a little white and blue computer as an icon). Run thought the whole setup for VistaScan. While the installation is complete reboot your computer.

Open Presto! PageManager. To do this: Click on START > PROGRAMS > PRESTO! PAGE MANAGER group and click on Presto! PageManager in the sub-group.

Inside of PageManager, acquire VistaScan. Note: If the below instructions are not followed in the sequence they are given, you will have to start these instructions over.

VistaScan 2.x

Click on ACQUIRE
Uncheck The AUTO ADJUST box
Set the values as stated below, on the sliders on the lower side of the VistaScan interface Gamma (Capital G): 1.2
White Point (White Dropper) 255
Dark Point (Black Dropper) 0
Contrast (Half black, half white sun) 0
Brightness (Shining sun) 0

VistaScan 3.x

Click on the ADVANCED screen
Uncheck AUTO ADJUST.
Click on the COLOR WHEEL icon
Click on the RESET button
Using the mouse, set the "crop area" to max area (Place your mouse in the upper left corner of the scan area, hold down the left mouse button and drag to the lower right corner. Release the mouse button.

Click on PREVIEW button.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us