Question : Problem: Swapping hard drives from one Snap Server (410) to another. Will i be able to access data?

A bit of background: We have a Snap Server 410 4x 500gb HD, RAID 5, with 1tb available for storage,  connected to an HP server via iSCSI. We had a a roof leak/ flood which has killed off our Snap Server. I have tested the HDDs, they appear to be functioning.

My question: If the hard drives were put in a second identical SS 410, and connected back up to our HP server, would we be able to access the data?

Answer : Problem: Swapping hard drives from one Snap Server (410) to another. Will i be able to access data?

They should... They would have to be put back in the same order as they were in the original server.  Make sure that the drives are completely dry and that there is no "debris" from the flood on them as this could potentially cause a short.  Even if one of the drives has failed RAID 5 should make it possible to access the data and if you could find a drive of similar size you should be able to rebuild the whole array and make the RAID 5 array whole again.  

I had a much older SNAP server that had lost a disk and that size of disk wasn't made any more. But I put in one that was larger and was able to recover the array so that it's whole again... but even during that time, I was able to get to the data... it was just really slow because the one disk was down.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us