Question : Problem: Need file recovery method and/or tool

Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2
Microsoft Works version 8.0
*.wps file recovery

I have a client that had been working in Microsoft Works Word Processor for many months generating a *.wps document. He has a backup, but it is many weeks old. He recently opened the *.wps file and it was blank and only 13K.

I think he opened a blank document and accidentally saved it over his original document, but we are not sure.

Seeing that the file was not "deleted" in the traditional sense, how might I recover his old file?

I have removed the drive and put it as a slave in another computer. I have tried using R-Studio but it only finds the existing blank file. I have limited knowledge of R-Studio and have only used it in the past to recover files on drives that are damaged or won't boot, but I need a way to recover a file (or fragments of a file) that is still on the drive but not showing up in the directories.

Do you think an "undelete" tool would work even though the file was never deleted? What tools do you recommend?

UPDATE: R-Studio doesn't list the *.wps file type as a known type. I just tried Pandora Recovery and it has far fewer known file types than R-Studio. Needless to say, it doesn't recognize *.wps files and is of no use to me (as far as I can tell). You can only do a surface scan for known file types.

Thanks,
Dan

Answer : Problem: Need file recovery method and/or tool

Thanks, but none of these helped.

None of these programs specifically recognize a Microsoft Works Word Processor file (if he had used Microsoft Word, almost every recovery tool recognizes a *.doc file). I also searched the entire drive using a disk editor for known words from the document with no success.

We have given up. He is going to start over and re-type the document from scratch.

Seems silly since the file was never deleted.

thanks anyway...
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us