Question : Problem: How to configure a home router to work with No-ip, so I can remote home computer?

Hi there,

I recently found out from a friend that I can use the No-ip application / Dynamic DNS resolver to remote access my DHCP home PC.  I could get No-IP to work with the PC, directly connecting to a router.  but since I have another laptop at home, I want to set a router at home so both machines can go online.  The problem is, if the no-ip application is installed on the PC, it will just give the 192.168.x.x (internal) address, not the external address I got from my ISP, hence I cannot remote back to the PC.  Does anyone have experience configuring the No-IP in a home network?  I read on the site that it works with routers, but I just couldn't figure out how to set it up.  Thank you very much!

Answer : Problem: How to configure a home router to work with No-ip, so I can remote home computer?

You can verify that it's registering it properly by confirming your external ip address with www.whatismyip.com or similar web site.

I did not need to use any special router rules to allow this program to work.  

you will need to forward tcp port 3389 from your router to your PC.  

If you have more than one pc that you wish to RDP, you'll either need to use the first pc to then RDP to that one, or change the RDP port of the second machine.  To do so, use regedit and modify the following value:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber]
"PortNumber"=dword:00000d3d

Change that to be 3390 or whatever port you wish to use.  You must reboot the pc after you change this value for the changes to take effect!

See http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html#change_the_Remote_Desktop_Listening_Port

for a very good description of all of the settings for RDP.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us