Question : Problem: how do I fix a problem with my CD/DVD drive after a recent change in software?

The CD/DVD drive on my Toshiba Tecra M4-S435 laptop no longer works.  The light stays on all the time (with disc or without) and will not read discs.  Discs usually end up with an "Device I/O error" on My Computer or it just keeps spinning.  I need my laptop for work and can't afford to format it at this point!

I have already tried the following:
- deleting from Device Manager and letting Windows re-install it
- reinstalling Toshiba's factory software (DVD Acoustic Silencer and DVD-RAM driver -- the only ones available)
- updating UJ-831 firmware to 1.02
- using the Microsoft KB to delete any registry entries for "upperfilters" and "lowerfilters"
- updated the ASPI drivers to the latest

Most recent changes to the computer:
- installed Nero 7 (worked fine after)
- uninstalled Adobe CS2 and installed CS3 (CD worked fine after)
- Windows Update (did not install XP SP3)
- uninstalled old Java versions and installed latest build from java.com (now IE crashes a lot!)

Attached is latest driver information from My Computer.

Answer : Problem: how do I fix a problem with my CD/DVD drive after a recent change in software?

It is most likely a problem with the drive it's self.  The first thing to try and do is put an alternate drive in the laptop and see if the problem is solved.  If it is, then your drive has failed.

The only easy thing you can do with a failed optical drive is to open it up and clean the laser lens using a cotton bud with a little but of mentholated spirits.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us