Question : Problem: SCSI HARD DISK SHARING

I am trying to do something a little different with a SCSI hard disk.
While many configurations contain several hard drives and one computer on a single SCSI bus (one host adapter), I am trying to set up a configuration which has several computers (more than one host adapter) accessing a single SCSI hard drive.  Each host adapter has its own SCSI ID, and the bus is properly terminated at both ends.

I am using Pentium 233 computers with embedded Adaptec 7880 controllers, and a Seagate ST19101W  hard drive.

The basic setup does work, in that each computer sees the common SCSI drive (as D:, each computer has a local IDE drive of its own which is C:).  Files can be read from, and written to, the SCSI drive by each computer on the bus.
THE PROBLEM IS THAT WHEN A FILE IS CREATED, OR MODIFIED,  BY ONE COMPUTER THE CREATION OR CHANGE IS NOT SEEN BY THE OTHER COMPUTERS ON THE SCSI BUS, UNLESS THEY ARE SHUT DOWN AND REBOOTED.
My theory is that each individual computer is retaining  an image of what has been written on the hard drive in memory, in the form of FAT and directory information. Thus, when first booted up, FAT is read into memory from the hard disk, and when data is changed, the memory resident FAT is changed, along with the FAT on the hard drive, by the computer making the change.
A second computer has no knowledge of the FAT change, and therefore relies on its memory resident FAT, which will no longer be correct.
Have I theorized correctly? If so, is there an easy solution ?
Problen has been observed using DOS 6.22, Win 95, and WINNT 4.0.

Answer : Problem: SCSI HARD DISK SHARING

Try this in your system.ini under the following section make sure that there is a line under the following.  If it is off then make it on.  This will work on all versions of windows and when you change this value you will have to reboot for them to take effect.

[386Enh]
FileSysChange=on
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us