Question : Problem: RJ45 Wallsocket

Hi
Can somone please tell me how to wire up a RJ45 wall socket and tell me what tools I need for this..

Thanks

Answer : Problem: RJ45 Wallsocket

It depends on the make and model of the wall jacks you buy/bought.  They usually come with some directions about how to cable them.  They're color coded so that it's a solid color or white and half a color.  This refers to the individual wires.  So, solid blue is the blue wire, white and blue is the white and blue wire.

Then there will be an A or B designation.  This refers to your cabling design - you can either terminate as a 568A or 568B termination.  Look at your cable ends (your patch cables) with the tab down.  If there is a green wire on the left, that's A.  If there is an orange wire on the left that's B.  You can use either, but stick to the same pattern throughout your building.

For termination - some of them will simply allow you to push the wires into the right slots and then have plastic caps for pushing them down to the IDC (insulation displacement connector).  If you don't have the plastic caps, then the right tool is called a "punch down tool".  Most jacks terminate with a style called 110.  So, you would need a 110 Punch down blade & tool.  Most of the tools come with a reversible 110 blade - one side punches and cuts and the other side doesn't cut.  Then some come with a second blade - called a 66 blade for working on telephone terminations - the blocks with the hooks (but don't worrry about this for now.)

If you need more help, give us the make and model of the jacks and perhaps we can look up the docs.

Hope this helps.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us