Question : Problem: Upgrading

New to  comps and all tht goes  with it. I hve Pavilion 8695 which came installed with Windows 98.  I want to upgrade to Windows XP but hear from several sources that I do not have enough memory (128 MB SDRAM standard) too slow(100MHz synchronous)and too small hard drive (20.4 GB)I am itching to do it all myself and need some advice as to which products to use to optimize my system. Please help?

Answer : Problem: Upgrading

The memory is not too slow, just that 128MB is the recommended minimum for XP.  So more will be better in this case.  All you need for more memory is this URL: www.crucial.com which is the retail division of Micron, one of the largest and best memory chip manufacturers.  Follow the easy to use menus to select your system and it will give you the appropriate options for memory modules.  Free shipping!  The things are easy to install; just remove the cover, snap the new module(s) in place, replace cover.

The hard drive of 20GB is not too small if it is currently empty.  How much free space do you have left?  To find out: open My Computer, right-click drive 'C', select 'properties'.  If you are unable to interpret, please post the numbers given there for 'free space' so I can go over it with you.  Once we determine the amount of free space, we can decide if you really do need a larger drive.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us