Question : Problem: Internet settings lapse on Motorola Pocket PCs

We have a difficult Internet problem when using Motorola MC70 or MC35 Pocket PCs with GPRS and a functioning SIM card:

We can configure the settings for an Internet connection okay.

When these Pocket PCs are new the Internet connection works fine after being configured. Our GPRS application works well, communication with a server works and we can also use Internet Explorer to visit web sites.

After a few weeks, however, it seems that the connection settings lapse!!!! Our GPRS application continues to work properly, and communications with a remote server also work. However, we can no longer reach web sites.

The inability to reach web sites also really affects our GPRS application. The application has an option, namely, to check for the ability to reach a web site as a check before starting a GPRS transfer. Internet Explorer no longer functions saying that 'Page cannot be Located'.

We have tried removing all settings and reinstating them to the original values but this has no effect.

The only thing that works is to Hard Reset the computer. We want to avoid this, however, since it erodes our users' confidence in the computer and its software.

At the moment we have 4 PPC's that are in this error state.

Does this problem sound familiar to anybody? Does anybody know how I can diagnose this problem on such a computer which happens to be in this error state?

Answer : Problem: Internet settings lapse on Motorola Pocket PCs

I have compared 2 Motorola MC70 machines; one in the error state (Internet Explorer can't open a web page) and the other not (IE working normally).

Although the connection manager shows the same settings for both machines, it turns out that the MC70 that fails to connect to the internet differs from an MC70 that does by the following setting:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers\{EF097F4C-DC4B-4c98-8FF6-AEF805DC0E8E}\HTTP-{ADB0B001-10B5-3F39-27C6-9742E785FCD4}]
"Type"=dword:00000000

Does not work, and

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers\{EF097F4C-DC4B-4c98-8FF6-AEF805DC0E8E}\HTTP-{ADB0B001-10B5-3F39-27C6-9742E785FCD4}]
"Type"=dword:00000001

Works.

I have changed the key on the machine that did not work, and that fixed the problem. And when I changed it back, the problem occured again.

Although this is a fix for now, I do not know how the setting got changed and I want to prevent it from happening rather that fixing it when it's bust (prevention is better than cure).

Additionally, I have seen that the My Work Network settings have somehow been set for these devices..... including the Proxy Server settings, although they should not have been active (because they were unchecked).

Any ideas what could be causing this situation?
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us