Question : Problem: Network Cable Tracer for Live Network?

Occassionally I get called to troubleshoot equipment on an unfamiliar network and when I get there, I find that none of the cables in the wiring closet are identified or marked in any way. In these cases, there is no way to tell which cable on a switch or router goes to what jack in a particular office. It would be great if I could just plug some kind of a testing device into the RJ45 jack in the office and then use a tone tester at the router or switch on the other end to find the associated cable. Is anyone aware of a network cable tracer / tone tester that can be used on a live connection, i.e., while plugged into a router, switch, hub, etc?

Answer : Problem: Network Cable Tracer for Live Network?

I owned one up until 4 months ago. At least you can rent one , I can't here. I also had an Enterprise LAN meter >$20K, but I have changed the focus of my business and I had a chance to sell them at a good price. The CableIQ is a good meter to give you the confidence that the cable is good, and is a great tracing and labeling tool, but if you need the lines certified, you still need a proper certification meter. That Test-um meter is supposed to certify for <1/4 the price of the Fluke.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us