Question : Problem: Compare Cisco Catalyst 3560 series versus 4500 series?

In our financial data center, we need to switch about 10 incoming data feeds, with total incoming traffic of approx 80 Mbps (between 0 and 20 Mbps per port), and aggregate into a smaller number of links to servers. All ethernet, and we want to use install GigE to give us some headroom. As the traffic is all financial transactions, packet size may be very small (couple of hundred bytes each) and maybe an aggregate 40,000 packets per second.

Our data center hosting vendor (who will support the switches) is pushing heavily for us to use the Cisco 4500 series switches for this, but as the one who will actually be paying for the switch, I can't find any reason why the 3560 isn't more than good enough at well under one-tenth of the price of the 4500 series. The vendor talks about the 3560 being a toy and that mission critical environments need 4500's, but has yet to offer any concrete reasons involving switching capacity, latency or throughput, that would put some meat on thier argument.

We will deploy two switches as part of route diversity, so I  don't feel the need for redundant controllers on each switch. However I can see the value of redundant power supplies, which I believe the 3560 supports.

I would appreciate some advice as to whether the 3560 will be sufficient for our needs, or whether we should move up to the 4500 series.

Answer : Problem: Compare Cisco Catalyst 3560 series versus 4500 series?

I think that that the 3560 is great.  It certainly will do what you want it to do.  The advantage of the 4500 series is that you have a great deal more fault tolerance, including redundant power supplies and controllers, as well as the capability to swap out boards.  It is scaleable for a growing company, and can handle very large capacities.  Also, you can upgrade the processor board to ones with more capabilities (like layer 4 switching), and perhaps other capabilities in the future.

I think if there were no price difference, the 4500 would be the better choice.  Of course, there is a large price difference.  So, really the question is, if you have a failure with the 3560, what is your backup plan?  How can you satisfy those 10 incoming feeds during the time period that you have an outage?  WIll you have a cold spare 3560 on hand, or 4 hour depot maintenance?  If you were down for an hour, or for four hours, how much would it cost you?

For a company that can't afford an outage of any length, if it would cost them more than the price difference between the 3560 and the 4500, the 4500 is a better choice.

Do you see your needs growing beyond the 3560 in the next 3-5 years?  Or would you expect this to be sufficient even considering that growth.  That could be another factor in your decision.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us