Question : Problem: Failed RAID controller

I have two RAID 1 arrays configured on an Adaptec 2120S RAID controller. The controller has gone bad. It heats up and hangs the system and finally, if installed the system (W2K3) does not boot.
I have another controller (Adaptec 2930ALP RAID controller) already installed on the same system and it is not utilized. Is it possible to migrate my two arrays to the 2930 controller without rebuilding the system?
Thanks!

Answer : Problem: Failed RAID controller

It's rarely possible with major headaches because new RAID array always requires to you initialize hard drives (means erasing all data from them)

Here is my solution which works 100%:

- Connect one of the hard drives (without RAID controller) - does not matter which one
- Create an Image of it using imaging software (like Acronis True Image) and save this image to some other storage (like external hard drive)
- Create new RAID array on the new RAID controller, initialize it like you normally setup RAID from scratch (hard drives will be re-initialized and emptied)
- Restore data from the saved image (which you kept on external storage) to newly created RAID disk
- Run original Windows 2003 CD setup in Repair Mode (second F3 option during setup)

Repair mode will make sure that your Windows will boot from the new RAID controller.

Note: You will need to provide new RAID drivers (using floppy) during Repair Mode process

That's the only way for you to migrate safe.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us