Question : Problem: How do I get the soft key feeling back to my keyboard?

I know this is going to sound extremely weird but does anyone know how to get a keyboard to feel exactly like it used to when you first purchased it?

I use Microsoft ergonomic keyboards.  I currently use the Wireless Optical Desktop Pro 2.0.  This keyboard’s keys are just soft enough that I can type at an astounding speed.  I used to have the Natural keyboard from Microsoft and the keys would be oh so soft for probably two weeks and then out of nowhere the keys would turn firm and often times harder to press.

What I mean by harder to press is that sometimes if you didn’t hit it square in the middle it would not go down or it would if you added just a tad bit more of pressure.

Now I have been trying to figure out exactly what causes the keyboard to lose its feeling of soft keys over the course of a few weeks to a month.

The really good thing is the Wireless Optical Desktop Pro keyboard I use has had the soft feeling for quite some time.  I have one that I took to work and up until a few weeks ago it was the softest keyboard I had ever used.  For reasons unknown to me just last week I noticed that problem of having to hit the keys exactly in the center.  I’ve had that keyboard for probably 3 years now.

My main question is I guess if someone can help me figure out what causes the keyboard to lose the soft feeling when typing.  I have dissected many keyboards and attempted to figure out just what went wrong but could not pin point the problem.  I know there is a problem although I don’t know that it affects many people other than me.  The Microsoft keyboards that I speak of have this white plastic membrane under the keys.  I thought perhaps the plastic gets worn out over time but when I compared a new keyboard to an older one the two plastics looked exactly the same.

I’ve even tried lubricating the actual key with WD40 and various oils to no avail.  If anyone can help me pin point the exact cause of this I’d be extremely grateful!  Thank you!

Answer : Problem: How do I get the soft key feeling back to my keyboard?

...oh yes, and oil does not help - i suggest washing all the oiled keys and parts.
if you want to try another lubricant, i suggest silicone spray (as for rollers)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us