Question : Problem: Configuring Laserjet 4050 For Multiple Paper Types.

I've got a bunch of Laserjet 4050s with 4 trays configured the following way:

Envelope Feeder = Envelopes
Tray1 = Labels
Tray2 = Letterhead (250 Sheets max)
Tray3 = Legal (250 Sheets max)
Tray4 = Plain (500 Sheets max)

The users want to be able to pick the tray by number.  For example, they know when they want Legal to print to tray 3, and when they want Letterhead to print to tray4.  The problem is that since they don't want to specify the media type, all the trays are configured inside the printer as being "plain".  So if tray4 runs out of paper, it automatically jumps to the next tray that is things is plain and letter-sized.  This is Tray2.  So everytime they run out of plain paper, it starts printing of letterhead.  

If I configure the printer so that it knows tray2 is letterhead, and users try and print to tray2 when they want letterhead, it doesn't work either.  This is because they are not specifying the mediatype as letterhead, and so it defaults to plain.  The printer knows that the paper in tray2 is not plain and therefore won't print it there.

I just basically want a way to turn of the printer's ability to print to other trays when its out of paper in one.

If I'm not explaining myself correctly, please let me know, and I will do my best to try again.

Answer : Problem: Configuring Laserjet 4050 For Multiple Paper Types.

PAQed with points refunded (250)

modulo
Community Support Moderator
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us