Question : Problem: Why do I have slow throughput on backups @ 1mb / Min or less

I just installed Arcserve Backup r12.1 (Service Pack 1) and the latest Exchange Suite agent on a newly commissioned Exchange 2007 server.  The backup device is a Sony Tape Library attached to an HP DL380 server running Windows 2003 server.  This setup does great on all other servers except the Exchange server backup.  The throughput rate is less than 1mb per minute when backing up the Exchange database.  I have tried the following things:

- Latest Service Packs and Drivers on the server and software
- Disabled checksum offloading, receive side scaling and large send offload on both server NICs
- set speed and duplex to 1GB Auto on both NICs
- Tested throughput to a disk based backup instead of tape, same results as tape
- Called CA to no avail as usual, still waiting for their callback (we pay for that support too)
I'm sure there are a couple other adjustments I have made as well, but I am at a total loss as to what is crippling the speed of this backup.  The exchange database is currently at 16GB and took over 12 hours to backup and still wasn't completed.  Anyone out there have any other suggestions since I cannot seem to get help from CA on this subject.

Thanks for your help, this is a critical matter (aren't they all) and I would appreciate any and all help I can get.

Answer : Problem: Why do I have slow throughput on backups @ 1mb / Min or less

Thanks for all your help, I was able to finally get through to someone at CA that was able to resolve the issue for me.  Here is the solution for your reference.

There was a registry change that he made at the server:

[HKLM]Software\Wow6432Node\ComputerAssociates\CA ARCServe Backup\Base\Task\Remote

Changed the WSRcvdBuffSize value from 1 to 0

This resolved my throughput issue on the Exchange database from 1.xx MB/Min to 800+ MB/Min

Thanks for all your help and responses, hope this solution helps someone else
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us