Question : Problem: problem with ntbackup

Hello,

I'm learning to use ntbackup (on Windows XP) for backuping my files. I'm doing experiments first to see what it does.

1) I have a directory E:\for_backup with file hello.txt containing text "hello"

2) I backuped it to foder L:\my_backup\Backup.bkf (type: normal)

3) I added a file goodbye.txt with text "goodbye" to folder E:\for_backup. I backuped the folder E:\for_backup (type incremental)

4) I changed the text in hello.txt to "hello everybody". I backuped the folder E:\for_backup (type incremental)

5) I changed the text in hello.txt to "hi everybody". I backuped the folder E:\for_backup (type incremental)

6) I deleted the file goodbye.txt. I backuped the folder E:\for_backup (type incremental)

7) The end state is that the folder E:\for_backup should contain file hello.txt with text "hi everybody"

8) Lets say some accident happened and I have lost E:\for_backup folder

9) I have a file Backup.bkf and want to recover. I will choose all 5 Backup.bkf subtrees and choose recover. The folder for_backup contains hello.txt with text "hello" and goodbye.txt => backup failed

10) I will choose only the fifth incremental backup and recover.
the folder for_backup is empty => backup failed

11) I will choose the first and fifth backup and recover.
folder for_backup contains hello.txt with text "hello" => backup failed

Do you know how should I recover to recover to end state?

Thanks

Answer : Problem: problem with ntbackup

You need to restore the first Full backup you made, and then, ONE AT A TIME, restore the incremental backups, oldest first. An incremental backup only takes backups of changes made since the last full or incremental, so it is necessary to restore them all, oldest first (and one at a time, to prevent conflict) to ensure you have the full backup restored to disk.

-tigermatt
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us