Question : Problem: What is the procedure for testing Power Supply with Voltmeter?

I have an Antec 380W Power Supply that I think is dead. I have an Apple computer that had a dead power supply, and Apple provide's info on exactly what to touch what to, and I was able to determine that the power supply is dead. But on this Antec power supply, I'm not sure what is what, where to touch, etc. I don't have electronic knowledge, so when Apple said what to touch, like say "1 with red, and 6 with black and you should get a reading of XXX, if so, then proceed to the next step, if not, then replace the power supply...", it was very easy. I didn't have to be an electrician to figure out if it was dead or not.

To check say the 3.3VDC power, I'm assuming you touch the red probe to one of the three that I think are on my PS. But then where do I touch the ground? To any of the COM points? Or does it have to be a certain one for each voltage I'm trying to measure?

Another thing that is confusing, on this site:
http://www.smpspowersupply.com/connectors-pinouts.html
Is that it shows a typical 20-pin connector, but my wires don't totally match their wires. My wires are exactly reversed. My wiring is just like theirs, only my pin is upside and backwards from theirs. In the end, 11 is 11, and 6 is 6, etc.. but not in the exact same positions as their diagram. So, I guess that really doesn't matter.

I guess I need to know how to check my pins, and if I can touch any of the three 3.3V points, along with ANY COM ground to get a reading, or does it have to be a certain ground. Same for the 12V and the 5.5V. And there are several 5.5V points. Which one do I touch?

Thanks!

jason

Answer : Problem: What is the procedure for testing Power Supply with Voltmeter?

Ground is ground -- so you can "touch" any ground.   Same with the various supply buses => i.e. 3.3v is 3.3v; 5v is 5v; etc.

Your wires are "... upside and backwards ..." from the diagrams because it depends on whether you're looking at the motherboard connector or the power cable ==> see the pictures at the top corners of this page:  http://pinouts.ru/Power/atx_v2_pinout.shtml

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us