Question : Problem: Palm to Pocket PC- how to transfer data?

I had a sony clie N760C.   It dropped and the screen cracked so the screen is no longer usable as an input device.  I was able to synch with my desktop computer.  I have now purchased an HP iPAQ 1945.  I want to transfer data from the Palm built-in applications (addressbook, appointments, memos, todos) into the Pocket-PC based iPAQ.  More specifically, I want to transfer data from the Palm desktop application on my desktop computer (where the info currently resides) into the iPAQ via Microsoft Active Synch.  I have read that I can synch the palm to microsoft outlook and then synch the Pocket-PC device to outlook.  I have tried exporting the palm data into Outlook but i can't find where the proper data files are.  I have tried importing from the Outlook side but this hasn't worked either.  I have also read that Intellisynch might help, but when i spoke to the Intellisynch tech support they said I could do it with Outlook.  Is the fact that I'm not synching directly from the palm device part of the problem?  Any help would be very much appreciated.

Answer : Problem: Palm to Pocket PC- how to transfer data?

You can import the data directly from the palm desktop you just have to understand exactly what outlook is looking for. I have done this a thousand times with various handspring customers. The following steps can be used for the address book.

But before you go and do all this why dont you try and sync to Outlook like WilyGuy suggested using the palm device and Pocket Mirror.  The palm desktop 4.1 from www.palm.com comes built in support for Outlook using Pocket Mirror. Its a much easier solution and you dont have to worry about field mapping.  

import details.

1. Open palm desktop and select address book
2. Click File | Export . BE CERTAIN TO SELECT YOUR RANGE, IT NEEDS TO BE SET TO "ALL"
3. Change the File type to "Comma Seperated Values .csv)
4. Create a filename and specify a location to save the exported file
5. Hit Export
6. You may be prompted to select which fields are to be exported. Check all fields.
7. Hit OK

Open Outlook and Import the file. You will need to setup the field mapping. For instance Last Name = Surname etc etc. Note there will be many fields in Outlook that are not supported in teh Palm Desktop. So just remember that you can if you wish put someones phone number in the last name field of outlook, its all about how you map from one program to another.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us