Question : Problem: LCD Backlight out

Before I bought a part either way, I thought it would be wise to ask here.  The backlight in LCD monitor on my laptop is out.  The picture still displays dimly so I know that that part of it still works.  I was wondering, would this either be a problem with the display or the inverter?  Is there a way I can tell which one it may be and if so how?

Answer : Problem: LCD Backlight out

I agree. There is no easy way to tell which is out.
Normally laptops only have one tube but the newer huge or wide screens may have more.
I haven't seen one yet but it could be.

The inverter is much easier to change out so what I normally do is shop around until I find one for under $20 or so (usually eBay) and change that first just because of the difficulty level.
If that wasn't it I'll simply resell the inverter on eBay to cut my losses and go from there.
I've only had to do this a few times and so far I've been lucky in that every time it was the inverter that was the problem.

Another option is to keep your eyes open for a dead or dying laptop of the same model and screen but that has a known good screen. A damaged laptop with a good screen is often much cheaper than buying just a screen and you usually get a few other good spare parts (CD drive, FDD, keyboards, memory) which you can save 'in case' or sell off.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us