Question : Problem: Is it possible to get 6mbps out of a wireless router?

Bought a brand new router. Bandwidth tests indicate I get 6mbps when wired to the router, 3mbps over a wireless connection. I contacted linkys. They are saying they can't help. This seems like a pretty big dirty secret that I'm surprised I haven't heard about. Here is the transcript with linksys:

Christopher D. (29801): Hi, my name is Christopher D. (29801). How may I help you?
Steve: Hi, when I'm wired directly to my cable modem, I get 6mbs
Steve: with the router, only 3mbps
Steve: this is a brand new router
Christopher D. (29801): Hi Steve. I will do my best to help you with your concern.
Christopher D. (29801): Let's check things first and we'll find a way to fix this one.
Steve: ok
Christopher D. (29801): From the user information, your router is a WRT54G version 8?
Steve: yes
Christopher D. (29801): How many wired and wireless computers are currently connected and online on the Internet through the router?

Steve: 2
Steve: 2 wireless
Christopher D. (29801): Okay. Have you tried connecting your computers wired on the router if it has the same connection speed?
Steve: no, but I can try that now
Steve: hold on
Steve: ok, this computer is now wired
Steve: I am now getting over 6 mbps
Steve: plugged into the router
Christopher D. (29801): That's good Steve.
Christopher D. (29801): Basically, the wired connection is better that the wireless one right?
Steve: right
Steve: wireless is less than half the speed
Steve: and I'm sitting right next to the router
Steve: strong signal strength
Christopher D. (29801): The reason for this is that, the wired connection is more stable due to the fact that the connection runs through the Ethernet cord. The data are running on a wired connection and data are transferred better. For the wireless connection, the data are transferred through wireless connection and data transfer might be affected by interferences.
Steve: is this wireless device capable of delivering 6mbps?
Christopher D. (29801): What I suggest is that we check your router's settings and adjust the wireless settings to address the concern on the wireless part of the router.
Steve: with no interference
Christopher D. (29801): By the way, how do you normally measure the speed?
Steve: http://speedmatters.org/
Christopher D. (29801): Is it through the Local Area Connection/ Wireless Network Connections status?
Christopher D. (29801): I see.
Christopher D. (29801): How about using Local Area Connection/ Wireless Network Connections status?
Steve: seems to be pretty accurate
Christopher D. (29801): Yes, we do measure it on the Local Area Connection/ Wireless Network Connections status since the website might not detect the connection speed properly.
Christopher D. (29801): Using Local Area Connection/ Wireless Network Connections status, the wired connection will run 100 Mbps and 54 Mbps for wireless connection.
Christopher D. (29801): Kindly check if we have those speed using Local Area Connection/ Wireless Network Connections status.
Steve: where do I check for that?
Steve: nvm, 54.0mbps
Steve: that's according to "Wireless Network Connection Status"
Christopher D. (29801): Sorry about the delay.
Christopher D. (29801): That's good.
Christopher D. (29801): Your laptop's wireless connection is already running the maximum speed from the router Steve.
Christopher D. (29801): We do measure it using Local Area Connection/ Wireless Network Connections status. It means, there is no need to worry on speed.
Steve: then why am I not getting 6mbps?
Steve: Wired I get 6mbps, unwired I get 3mpbs
Steve: seems to be a problem
Christopher D. (29801): Like what I have mentioned earlier, the router's wired connection is 100 Mbps and 54 Mbps for Local Area Connection/ Wireless Network Connections status. With the website you're using, the speed are the same 6MBps for wired, 3 Mbps for wireless.
Christopher D. (29801): The connection will be half when wired and wireless connection.
Steve: why will it be half?
Steve: that doesn't seem right
Steve: If I download a 100MB file wired, it will take half the time wired.
Steve: that isn't right
Christopher D. (29801): The wired connection is more stable due to the fact that the connection runs through the Ethernet cord. The data are running on a wired connection and data are transferred better. For the wireless connection, the data are transferred through wireless connection and data transfer, since it is running wirelessly the connection is not that stable compared to wired connection.
Steve: I've never heard of it being so unstable that it can't reach 6mbps
Steve: you are saying, then, that it is not possible to achieve 6mbps through a wireless router?
Christopher D. (29801): Yes Steve. Just to inform you, 100Mbps ( wired ) and 54 Mbps ( wireless ) are just the same as the website you're using 6 Mbps ( wired ) and 3 Mbps ( wireless ). The connection speed is cut to half.
Christopher D. (29801): I am very sorry for the inconvenience that this caused you Steve.
Steve: well, I find it pretty hard to believe. I've never heard that a wireless router is not capable of reaching 6mbps throughout put
Steve: throughput
Christopher D. (29801): II am very sorry for the inconvenience that this caused you Steve. I have a link for you to check about the difference of the speed for wired and wireless connection of your router.
Christopher D. (29801): http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1149562300349&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=0034939789B02
Steve: so what is the maximum advertised speed when wireless?
Christopher D. (29801): Wired connection speed: 100 Mbps
Wireless Speed: 54 Mbps ( speed is cut into half )
Steve: the 6mbps is the cap from the cable company
Christopher D. (29801): Just like the website you're using to measure speed, 6 mbps ( wired ), 3 Mbps ( wireless ). Speed is cut into half.
Steve: anyway, you are saying you can't do anything to help, right?
Christopher D. (29801): I am really very sorry for the inconvenience that this caused you Steve. The router is just functioning like how it is designed. Like what I have mentioned many times already, the maximum speed for the wired connection is 100 Mbps ( 6 Mbps ), while 54 Mbps ( 3 Mbps ) for wireless.
Steve: ok, thanks. goodbye

Answer : Problem: Is it possible to get 6mbps out of a wireless router?

Sitting right next to the router with your laptop doesn't guarantee maximum throughput any more than having a 1/4 mile-tall TV broadcast tower within 100 feet of your house will give perfect reception of that station. I've got 4mBps on a cheap 54g router sitting 10 feet across the room from it, so yes, it is possible to get over 3mB/s... it was not consistent, though. The tests I used were on the speedguide.net site. YMMV. :-)
http://www.speedguide.net/speedtest/ lists the test sites. (I would caution anyone to run the test on 5 or 6 different ones for baseline data before applying any of their registry tweaks... some of which may make it wait longer between acks). I don't remember which one I achieved the highest speeds from, but it was one of those in the US. After you get some baseline data, try different locations in the room. Once you find the spot[s] in the room with best throughput consistently, THEN consider the registry tweaks (listed under Broadband Tools there).

An interesting concept in routers I've seen lately is the Ruckus Mediaflex, but I presume you're just interested in getting the most out of the router you have until 802.11n is finalized.  Hope this info helps.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us