Question : Problem: Printer connected to network but can only be reached by users on same switch that the printer is attached to.

I just setup a new HP color laserjet 5550 printer that I want to add to our print server.  I configured the tcp/ip manually with the following settings.
IP 10.32.100.15
Subnetmask 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway 10.32.0.1
Primary DNS 10.32.0.20
Here's the problem, I have the printer connected to a switch and there are also 10 other users on that switch.  All of the users that are on the same switch as the printer can ping and connect to the printer fine.  But the rest of our LAN users can not ping or access the printer.  I have tested by moving the printer cable to another switch and get the same results, only the users that are on the same switch as the printer can print.  

p.s. I also tried just letting the printer obtain it's own ip address via DHCP and it put some weird ip address like 169.0.0.0 but it did put the right subnet mask, anyway no one could print to it then.

Any ideas would be appreciated,  thanks in advance!

Answer : Problem: Printer connected to network but can only be reached by users on same switch that the printer is attached to.

PAQed with points refunded (500)

CetusMOD
Community Support Moderator
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us