Question : Problem: Problems with DVD burner - not burning disks - laser problem?

I recently built a new machine with Vista Ultimate as the OS. I also got an HP DVD writer. After building the machine I then proceed to burn all my old files to DVD's for backup/archiving. I used the windows DVD burning functionality for this. Burnt about 6 disks no problem.

I then installed the Sims: 2 Bon Voyage and a new Creative X-Fi Elite Pro soundcard in the same night. After that time I seem to have been unable to burn DVD's properly. I have read that Sims 2 Bon Voyage comes with SecuROM, but got the impression on line this shouldn't really affect my burning capabilities.

Let me give you some more details, as I'm becoming convinced there is a problem with the laser in the disc itself, and the software installation timing was just a coincidence.

Whenever I try to burn a DVD-R or a DVD+R, using the Windows DVD burning functionality OR a third party tool (I use InfraRecorder as well), it goes through the motions of burning a disk, and seems to compelte the disk fine, however when you look at the surface of the disk it looks no different to an unused disk! Furthermore when you put the disk back into the machine, Windows either cannot read it at all or thinks it's still blank...

I've tried burning CD-R,CD-RW and DVD-RW in the same drive and these all work fine! So the problem seems to be solely with DVD-R and DVD+R. Now from what I remember DVD+/-R will use a different laser to DVD-RW? So does this behaviour suggest to you a problem with the laser/a hardware fault, or does it suggest a software issue, possibly caused by SecuROM interference at rootkit level?

I should mention I've removed the SecuROM by uninstalling the Sims 2 BV and running the SecuROM removal tool from EA Games, but this has made no difference.

The only thing I've got left to try is putting the DVD recorder in an old spare machine to see if it works there...

Answer : Problem: Problems with DVD burner - not burning disks - laser problem?

it happens a lot, but not linked to Securom
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us