Question : Problem: configuring Wi-Fi for Ipod Itouch with security

I would like to know in advance (before Xmas day arrives) how to configure my Netgear WI-Fi router AND/OR the Ipod Itouch my son is receiving for Xmas.
The router manual describes secure Wi-Fi connectivity with SSID, WEP and WEP-PSK etc.
I do not want to open my network to all or allow sniffing of IP information.
The Ipod Itouch manual only describes inputing a password to allow access to the WI-Fi network and to consult the Network administrator for more information, well that would be me then????
So what setting do I need to configure in the IPOD OR which level of security in the Router NETGEAR DG834GT

Thanks - just trying to reduce stress on Xmas day

Answer : Problem: configuring Wi-Fi for Ipod Itouch with security

OK .. I've an iPod Touch.

Do NOT use WEP as it is not very secure and easy to hack.  WPA security is much stronger and harder to break.

On the Netgear Router .. choose WPA as your encryption format.  Then set a good 8 or 9 character password ideally use numbers and letters.

Then once the Netgear Router is running .. switch on the iPod touch .. it should SEE the wireless network and attempt to connect .. it will identify that the encryption is WPA and prompt for the password. This password is the one you set on the router.

You should not have to do anything else on the iPod Touch.  It is that simple.

gwcmaint's suggestion about using the MAC address and disabling broadcasting is another solution but more complex to implement and not all routers allow you to block the broadcast of their SSID

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us