Question : Problem: Computer won't remain on after pressing power button

I have a Gateway 550GR that I am having a strange problem with. I installed a hard drive from another computer that I had that died to get some info off it. It has two slots for SATA drives. I removed the DATA drive, plugged in the hard drive from my other PC, unplugged the boot drive, and booted into windows. No problems.

This evening I had to move it back to its location, so I replaced the original hard drives, moved it, hooked it up, and now when you hit the power button, it doesn't remain on.

Upon pressing the power button the fan in the case and the CPU fan both come on, as does the blue LED for the video card. But as soon as you let go of the power button, everything shuts down.

Also, the hard drive light under the power button blinks when you press the power button down.

Between the time that I replaced the hard drives and moved the computer, nothing abnormal happened. No drops, no shocks, no pulls or pushes. Everything went fine.

Any ideas?

Answer : Problem: Computer won't remain on after pressing power button

eMachines/Gateway computers are notorious for having poor quality power supplies. I just inherited a T3104 and it has trouble powering up. I would push the button and the fans would trun for a second as I released the button and not actually power it up. (I could watch the fans as the case is open.) I havn't perfected the technique yet but some kind of combination of pushing holding for a minute and releasing seems to get it going after about a half a dozen tries. This may not be a perfect solution but it may get you going. I am considering replacing the power supply because I have heard of a lot of bad power supplies taking out motherboards when they go bad on these eMachines/Gateways.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us