Question : Problem: Running XP Pro with HP5300c Scanner using USB connection. CConfigDestEnumerator halts looking for possible destinations.

Running XP Pro with HP5300c Scanner using USB connection. Was working fine then stopped working. Microsoft XP news group says that scanners attached to USB ports have been reported failing like this. Their only advice was to disallow the powering down of the USB port when XP decides it is possible. I made the change and it still died. Uninstalled Scanner software and also the USB. Re-installed software, re-connected scanner to USB port, powered-up. Upgraded Scanner Driver w/correct HP-provided XP-patch. "All Systems Are Go" yet the scanner continues to hang with this message in the scanner error log:

CConfigDestEnumerator|Line 0|Sys 9|looking for:
C:\PROGRAM~1\MICROS~2\Office\OUTLOOK.EXE

The file it is looking for is the OUTLOOK executable and it is in the Directory shown. It finds the OUTLOOK EXPRESS executable which makes the same call with a different target Directory.

If I uninstall the Small Business product containing OUTLOOK, the process then hangs on \WINDOWS\MSPAINT.EXE. If the Small Business
is re-installed, the problem as described returns.

I double-checked that I am using HP's approved XP-Driver patch 3.04 and it is the right one. This is worth, a minimum, of 250 points.

Interestingly, the Scanner works fine when invoked using the SCANNER and CAMERA WIZARD. The 5300c warms up and scans the photo as it should. It's unfortunate there isn't a SCANNER WIZARD.

Found a related WINDOWS 2000 solution which does NOT solve my problem. Member COYOTE says that when the START MENU had its reference
to MYCOMPUTER removed, that the problem went away. I never had MYCOMPUTER in my START MENU and still suffer the problem. It can be
found by searching with CConfigDestEnumerator in the HP Scanners TOPIC.

Answer : Problem: Running XP Pro with HP5300c Scanner using USB connection. CConfigDestEnumerator halts looking for possible destinations.

When you review the last post Please try to answer the questions.... I only post this note because I know i hit you with a lot of information.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us