Question : Problem: Configuring HP SureStore

I recently purchased a HP Netserver LPr and a HP SureStore E Disk System SC10.  The netserver has a NetRaid 3Si Raid card.  Channel 0 = Two SCSI Drives in server mirrored.  Channel 1 = Five SCSI Drives in SureStore Raid 5.  Channel 2 = 4 SCSI Drives in SureStore Raid 5(3 disks) and HotSpare.

When i boot the machine and it gets to the raid card detecting drives bit, the server starts beeping and the screen displays: 3 logical drives found, 2 logical drives failed, 3 logical drives handled by bios.

When i enter the Raid Express Tool.  It shows that channel 0 is online, Channel 1 fail and Channel 2 fail.

I have connected all the cables correctly, there are two cables from surestore one two channel 1 and the other to channel 2 and the other two ports on the bcc's are terminated.  The Express Tool doesn't let me do much to the drives i found that i can format individual disks, but i can't find anyway to enable the logical drives, if thats possible.

I don't have much experience with surestores and raid.  Can anyone tell me why these drives don't work?  Am i doing something wrong? (probably). HELP!
Cheers
Pete

Answer : Problem: Configuring HP SureStore

It sounds like this was built and configured elsewhere to this spec then shipped to you? If so it may be as simple as swapping the external SCSI channels with each other. You say you can format individual disks, can you format physical disks on each SCSI channel? If so then it is the logical drives rather than channels that are down and you need to delete the logical drives and create new ones. You certainly can't enable logical drives when some of the physical drives in these arrays have been formatted, some of the disks will think they are part of an existing array and others are unconfigured waiting to be added to new logical drives.

Don't know much about what software HP used to supply with the netservers but isn't there an option to completely erase the config and start from scratch?
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us