Question : Problem: I am getting this error in the NetApp logs... [iscsi.protocol.violation:<wbr />warning]: ISCSI: iswta, iSCSI protocol violation, 'immediate delivery overflow, opcode 2'.  Any idea what this means?

I have 3 different servers each connected to a NetApp filer via ISCSI. In the NetApp message log I see this error....[iscsi.protocol.violation:warning]: ISCSI: iswta, iSCSI protocol violation, 'immediate delivery overflow, opcode 2'
I then see this message afterwards... [iscsi.notice:notice]: ISCSI: iswta, New session from initiator iqn.2006-08.net.mydomain:myserver at IP addr 10.100.0.16

Any idea what might be going on here?

Answer : Problem: I am getting this error in the NetApp logs... [iscsi.protocol.violation:<wbr />warning]: ISCSI: iswta, iSCSI protocol violation, 'immediate delivery overflow, opcode 2'.  Any idea what this means?

As robocat says this is a harmless error and has been fixed in the versions of Data ONTAP listed below. You may want to upgrade your filer to fix the issue. If you have a valid support contract you can download the version from the NOW website. Also if you have that valid support contract you can call the NetApp support line, 888-463-8277, for assistance with this issue.

# Data ONTAP 7.1RC1 (First Fixed) - Fixed
# Data ONTAP 7.1.2.1 (GD) - Fixed
# Data ONTAP 7.2.4 (GD) - Fixed
# Data ONTAP 7.2.4L1 (GD) - Fixed

Here is a workaround that was mentioned as well. the original bug was mentioned to be related to Sourceforge linux hence the mention of Sourceforge below.

" Increase the AbortTimeout value in the /etc/iscsi.conf file of the Sourceforge
 initiator.  By default, this value is 10 seconds, which may not be sufficient
 while the filer is under heavy load.  Increasing this value will allow more
 time for the initial abort to complete before the initiator assumes the
 abort has failed and issues another task management command; in turn, this
 should reduce or eliminate the messages on the filer console."
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us