Question : Problem: How can I get a PowerBook G4 to boot from a USB CD ROM using linux or OSX installer program?

I have a PowerBook G4 with a messed up DVD drive. I would like to install Leopard, for which I have the DVD. I also have a LiteOn external DVD+RW USB 2.0 drive.

What I mean by messed up is that the internal DVD drive will boot from the Leopard install disk but will always fail verification, or fail even if I tell it to skip. It does get me into the leopard install program (I could get into disk utility, etc.) I have a feeling it would boot up Linux

I need to get the mac to install OS X from the disk, but it would need to be read from the external USB DVD+RW drive.

Pre-intel macs do not include support for booting from USB DVD Drives, or something like that

Could I use Linux or something similar (boot from the internal drive) to get the computer to open the OSX installer on the USB drive?

Thanks!

Answer : Problem: How can I get a PowerBook G4 to boot from a USB CD ROM using linux or OSX installer program?

Actually, the FASTER solution than that is to restart the Powerbook in Target Disk mode (Hold down T), and hook it up to another Mac using a Firewire cord.  Then, act as if to install Leopard on the other Mac, but when it asks for which disk to use, choose your externally connected laptop.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us