Question : Problem: Video Card does not show images with DVI port, but does with VGA ports Why?

Hi Guys

I just bought a Samsung LCD (Model T220).  The computer I have is pretty good, its a Dell Inspiron 530.  Anyways in it has a Video card from Nvidia  GE Force 8600.  This card has only 2 DVI ports and no vga ports.  The samsung has a DVI port and a VGA port.  

I put the DVI port with cable and connected it to the computer via the video card, nothing showed up.  The monitor would just have its monitor power button blink.  Luckily for me, I have a vga converter which I used in one of the DVI ports and it worked.  The problem is that it stays in Analog.  It will not work with a DVI port.  When I connect with the DVI port it just shows that blank screen and I know that the computer is already booted up, because I'll change back the to the VGA mode and it will work instantaneously.  

The monitor did come with a driver which I did install and can see its been recognized by the computer in the Display panel.  However, sometimes when I do install it and reboot and go back to the display panel it show a Generic Model again (this is only when I connect with a VGA port DVI converter)

I've also tried to reinstall the video drivers but my computer is Vista, so when I boot up the computer automatically reinstalls the video card regardless.

I've also tried to connect with the other port (since there are 2), but I've had no luck.

My two questions (which are probably just one) is how can I make my computer use the DVI ports and how can I keep it in Digital Mode and not Analog.  

Thanks

Answer : Problem: Video Card does not show images with DVI port, but does with VGA ports Why?

Hey Again

Looks like I found the problem?  I'm not quite sure, but I exchanged the monitor I had and got a new one.  This time the cable for the DVI port was a bit different.  Instead of an array of pins that make a rectangle, there was an array of pins to make 2 square shapes.  

Anyways, the monitor worked.  So I guess it was the cable that I was given in the first place.

I researched the cable and the one given to me before was DVI-I dual link which didn't work, but when I used a DVI-I single link it worked.  You can see pictures on this site about it.

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

thanks for all the help!

Seoulkid

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us