Question : Problem: Smartlink 56K Voice Modem - No Dial tone detected

Hi guys,

I had an ESS 2839 Modem, that did not work on my linux Fedora Core 2, so I had to buy a Softlink Modem (code SL 1900).

It worked well just after I bought it, but now, it start to make me sick. When I use the ESS modem under Windows, it connects well, but when the Smartlink is used, it does not detect a Dial tone, and it makes a very high tone beep.

Though, on the ESS, the line is working properly. So, I thought the line wasn't good enough, so I bought a brand new wire, but it still didn't work out well.

On the Phone, when I exchange the two wires (polarity, may be), the phone also make the high tone beep, but while polarity is inverted, the Smartlink still doesn't detect any tone beep (and the same under Linux for this Smartlink modem).

So, what is the solution for this problem, because It's making me sick, now I'm in a CyberCafe to post this message, because the line seems to be bad. I called the phone service (on a public phone) and they sayd, they'll come to see what they can do.

But, before they come, I should have a solution ready for the modem, if it happens that the modem still doesn't detect a dial tone, even after fixing the whole phone line. The idea also is that I use Linux, rather than Windows XP, so, I need the Smartlink modem to do that.

Answer : Problem: Smartlink 56K Voice Modem - No Dial tone detected

Hello e_zedeck,

I've had a modem killed by lightning effects once before. If you're skilled in electronics (and welding very tiny SMD things on mulitlayer circuits without destroying the board) I would suggest that you open the modem and follow the circuit parts beginning from the phone line connector to identify the dead things. A circuit diagram of the modem would help you, but might be very difficult to get hands on. Don't expect a visible damage (something burnt).

Things to replace might be anything, in the case mentioned above it was an array of treminator resistors.

If you're not that much skilled, the manufacturer of the modem might offer a repair service (is there still warranty on it ?). In example: USRobotics offers modem repair and sometimes hardware upgrade services. Check terms of the service in advance, and if possible, ask for a free quotation of the repair (send in the modem, they check for the error, maybe for a small fee, and tell you how much the repair will cost you. The repair is only performed on your OK).

Best regards

frankhelk
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us