Question : Problem: Restoring a norton ghost image from W2K to XP????

I used norton ghost 2003 to create a backup of my computer running Windows 2000.  If I install XP, can I restore the backup without any problems?

Answer : Problem: Restoring a norton ghost image from W2K to XP????

No thats nearly impossible. a ghost is a image of your raw harddrive once you restore it you will have the win2k install back as you backed it up. also if you have used the windows backup tool it might restore the system state but that would ruin your xp installation. also there are allot of dlls registered by your current version of windows that will be lost with an uninstall.

What you can do,

Either boot the windows2k install, if you didnt wipe it and do an upgrade to windows xp or restore the ghost image you made and then do the upgrade. The upgrade will affect only your windows installation but will leave all the drivers (if compatible) and registry settings intact. Also all programs will still be running (except dos programs if you have any these might cause problems).

To start the upgrade run the winnt32.exe on the windows XP installation disk while you have windows2k booted.

Good luck, regards...
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us