Question : Problem: XP Pro - USB Backup Drives - How to determine what letter is being assigned

Ive done a good deal of research, and it turns out that XP has flaws with drive letter assignment and network drives.  Our clients ALWAYS have at least 5 or 6 network drives connected.  We use a rotating drive backup solution (three drives, backed up 3 times a week, for example) to make data redundant.  Heres the issue:

One of our clients uses USB devices (thumb drives and what not) in his system.  The problem comes into play (we use a batch file to xcopy all directories to be backed up to a static drive letter) when he plugs in one of the three drives and doesnt reassign to the proper letter (all three are the same, and this letter is not used by the network shares).  We have manually set the drive letter in computer management, but it just doesnt seem to stick.  Further more, we cant identify 'why' this is happening...

I have tried a few ways around it since going 'through' it doesnt seem to be a viable option.  

First thing i tried was creating a virt folder for the drive, which is static, but i cant assign 3 drives to that 1 folder, even though only one is plugged in at a time.

Second thing i thought of was naming the drives all the same and finding some sort of dos syntax that will allow me to identify the drive letter based off the drive name itself and use that to copy to.  Cant seem to locate anything off google for that...but the idea sounds promising if the functionality exists.

Third thing i tried was a program callled usbdlm which i was unsuccessful at making work at all.  Looking around for other tools produce a plethora of 'instant eject' features, but nothing that is going to enforce static assignment or unmount/remount based on what drive you put in.

Now being the grunt IT consultant..im all for 'edumication' of the client, but i have been advised that having a smart client is bad for business... =) .  My brain is shot.  Anyone with any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Ill take anything i can get.

Thanks for all your help in advance!!!

Answer : Problem: XP Pro - USB Backup Drives - How to determine what letter is being assigned

Oops. Label=xxx does not work, it must be VolumeLabel=xxx

[DriveLetters10]
VolumeLabel=Backup*
Letter=Z

The next version will accept both.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us