Question : Problem: Is my CPU really 52 deg C?

I have just built the next server for our comany and I am concerned about the reported CPU temps.  The motherboard is a Supermicro X7DVL-E and I am installed a Xeon 2.5GHz Quad Core CPU.  I am using the stock cooler.  When I ran Super Doctor III it gave me an alarm and sais the CPU was running at 52 deg. C.  So I removed the heatsink and relplaced the stock thermal paste with Artic Silver.  But there was no change.  Is this a normal temp for this CPU at idle? What can I do to bring this down?  Also, I can hold my hand aginst the heatsink and it does not feel warm.

Answer : Problem: Is my CPU really 52 deg C?

The E5420 isn't a low power Xeon ... it's TDP is 80w, with a thermal spec of 67°C

52°C isn't all that bad for this (Quad cores DO run hotter than their dual core brothers) ... what's important is how high does it get under load?   If it's still under 60, then all's fine.   But I'd be SURE your cooler is tightly mounted --> and did you apply the Artic Silver properly for a quad-core CPU?  (This is done differently than for single or dual core models)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us