Question : Problem: Repeated RAM failures with Biostar TForce motherboard

Hello,
Hopefully this is the right zone for this question. Yesterday I began having random lockups, errors and BSOD's under Windows Vista 32-bit. Today when I powered on the system the drives and fans power on, but I receive long beeps (long beep, pause, long beep, etc) and have no display.

Tried clearing CMOS, but was only able to power on the system by running one stick of memory. When adding the second back, even in 2nd set of dimms, it would either not power on or I would receive BSOD's upon booting to Vista.

This is the second time in the last year the _exact_ same symptons occurred and was solved then by replacing the memory. It's now happened again.

My question is, does the source of the problem sound like it's coming from the power supply or from the motherboard itself?

Current setup:

E4300 @ 3.0GHz
Biostar Tforce 695PT
Super Talent 2GB DDR2 800 (replaced Buffalo Firestix)
768MB eVGA 8800 GTX
Ultra X-Finity 500W

Thanks in advance!

Answer : Problem: Repeated RAM failures with Biostar TForce motherboard

The blue one with beveled edges and without the "K" pattern stamped in the top is a Chemicon Solid Polymer.
Polymer are the best kind of caps to have and Chemicon is generally a good brand.
-
The one right below it is the Sacon FZ [see the FZ in the part number?]
It has the K stamp and the FZ in the part number.
- - My point is Biostar mixes them on the same motherboards.
Look for the K stamp and the letters FZ.

I found two photos of your board each with different caps in Vcore.
Both appeared to have legit solid polymer there but one had blue Chemicon and the other black Nichicon [I think].
CPU is not damaged if you have polymar caps in Vcore.
They are SO effective you don't need to worry about the CPU even with other noisy power problems.
The Vcore caps are the ones right next to the CPU.

You do have 2 caps problems but not FZ. - Two known 'failers' that don't always bloat when bad.
-
Both photos showed some Chemicon KZG which isn't a good thing. These don't ALWAYS fail but often enough.
[They are Chocolate Brown with a Y shaped stamp and white letting. Letters KZG showing.]
Those don't like heat and will fail with no bloating if next to a heat source or the case has poor cooling.
--->> BUT: by where they are those wouldn't be causing RAM problems.
They seemed to be only in +12v [which is power-in to VRM] and one for the PCI-E slot.
-
The remainder of both boards had OST caps.
Those do the same as KZG only they fail with less heat and more often.
Those WOULD cause RAM problems as a number are in the RAM power regulation and as they are scattered all over the board a sundry of other problems are likely.

Recapping isn't so hard.
You get more life out of a board the second time around than you did the first time.
- The first time it had poor quality caps.
Personally I don't over-clock but I've seen over-clockers report that after a recap with good caps they can squeeze 10-20% more over-clock without the system going unstable.
Also seen things that are supposed to work but didn't since new suddenly start working again.
Examples are some FSB speed, USB, LAN, even sound.

Hardest part about doing a recap is sourcing the right kind of caps.
They aren't general purpose caps, they are low ESR and there are different grades of low ESR.
The cost is usually [loosely] around $1 per cap for DIY when you take into account shipping costs.
It can be much less if they are common sizes and you get a good deal on caps.
You can get a LOT of guidance to DIY or sourcing caps over in the forums at badcaps.net.
Badcaps [the main site] also recaps boards by mail order but I do my own recaps so I've never used that service.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us