Question : Problem: Dell Poweredge 1600SC boot problems

Hi Experts,

In a bit of a panic at the moment - I've got a Dell PowerEdge 1600SC (Exchange Server 2003) that has booting issues. Here are the symptoms:

1. Push power button
2. Machine fans make noise
3. Ethernet light on back of case is on
--3 seconds pass---
4. Machine shuts off - does not get to POST

Is this a power supply problem? What really throws me off is that I'm getting power to the motherboard (the ethernet LED...) and fans. Could it possibly be a motherboard?

For once in my experience with Dell, their tech support was almost useless. I do not have another power supply anywhere near me that I could swap and check, unfortunately. Will any do? Or does it have to be the correct Dell model?

Sometimes I really don't like cleaning up other people messes...this is a mission critical Exchange server that has been running for who knows how many years without any attention or redundancy (I'm afraid to ask about the backups...).

Anyways, thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.

-Max

Answer : Problem: Dell Poweredge 1600SC boot problems

Max apparently that 8 pin is dell specific I cant find anything concrete on it. I did find this though it is supposedly four 12v wires on one row, 4 ground wires on the other. I am not sure though. I would order the ebay one and have it overnighted rather than risking the SCSI backplane on my exchange server.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us