Question : Problem: Does it make sense to port channel two 1GB interfaces in this scenerio?

Hi experts,

In this scenerio, I need to uplink switch A ( Cisco 4948) to switch B ( Cisco 6513). The interfaces on both switches and the fiber is only 1GB speed. Is there any benefit  to configure a port channel between two gig ports on Switch A to uplink to Switch B?  I mean, the switches can't uplink at 2GB speed anyways, correct?
Switch B is low on Gig interfaces so I'd rather not waste the extra interface to accomodate a port channel if It won't make a difference.

Answer : Problem: Does it make sense to port channel two 1GB interfaces in this scenerio?

Etherchannel gives you several benfits, first high availability, two links in a bundle will continue
to operate if one link fails. So etherchannel reduces your failure domain helping you achieve better availibity numbers. Second, perfromance, channeling allows the device to load balance the traffic over multiple links increasing available bandwidth, there is some overhead so its not a 2X situation but its not far off.

harbor235 ;}
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us