Question : Problem: iPhone setup with POP configured on Exchange 2003 running on SBS 2003

I have a Windows SBS 2003 running Exchange that is configured for POP/SMTP.  A remote user just purchased an iPhone (3G) and we cannot get it setup to use POP to download emails from the Exchange server.  We've been on the phone with Apple and AT&T, so far nothing.  This user only uses OWA to access email, she does not use the contacts or calendar in Exchange, so all she wants to get on her phone is email.  Sending email is OK because we used AT&T's SMTP server.

The SBS is not fully up to date but it is running SP2 and Exchange 2003 SP2.  When setting up other POP email clients (i.e. Outlook), I've can use any one of the following syntax for the settings:
POP server: mail.external_domain.com
Username: username@external_domain.com OR username@internal_domain.local OR internal_domain\username

When setting up Windows mobile phones with a POP account and this server, it would only accept this syntax for the username: username@internal_domain.local

I've tried all 3 ways with the iPhone but it either gives an error message that the username and password is incorrect or it actually says it connects to the server but it never downloads any emails.  I know there are emails on the server because she only uses OWA to check email.

I've read through a lot of the questions about iPhone and Exchange setup, but I haven't found an answer that has helped me.  Please help.

Answer : Problem: iPhone setup with POP configured on Exchange 2003 running on SBS 2003

Well Apple Enterprise support and Microsoft support won't even touch this type of setup.  They both say to use Exchange ActiveSync, which doesn't work for this user.

I guess it's a lost cause.....
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us