Question : Problem: HP Pavilion a1730n wont boot wont repond to keyboard

Running an HP Pavillion A1730N. Stopped mid use and will not reboot, no beeps. Only gets as far as the HP splash screen and then stops.

Config: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 4600+  
2.4GHZ, 512KB+512KB L2 Cache
2GB PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM
320GB 7200RPM Serial ATA hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Graphics with 128MB dedicated graphics memory

No other cards than a modem. Harddrive and DVD are both onboard SATA
Scenarios:
1) When booting and it gets to the HP splash screen, there are 3 options presented, ESC(Boot Menu), F10(SETUP, and F11(System recovery). If you wait until you get to this screen and try to hit any one of those options, it will not respond and in about 1-2 mins, screen goes black and then the splash screen re-appears (keeps cycling like this)

2) If you start hitting ESC or F10 as soon as you power on, it will go to the boot menu or setup but then keyboard will not respond. You can see the boot menu and first screen of the setup but cannot navigate. Its as if the keyboard is dead (yes, tried another one). I can never get F11(system recovery) to come up.

If I put a bootable CD in the drive, in scenario #1, I eventually get message "Hit any key to boot from CD". No matter which key is pressed, it appears to ignore and times out booting from CD.

One thing to note, during initial power on, the keyboard lights flash. At no time after that will numlock, scrolllock lights work. After the initial boot, keyboard appears dead.

Tried reseating/removing DIMMs, moving SATA connections around, checking power connections, etc. With no DIMMS installed, it will beep so I know thats working. It seems to know when harddrive is being moved to new SATA port or when a DIMM is removed since it shows up on the initial setup screen but in no case can I navigate to anything else but what is presented on the first setup screen.

Any ideas?

Answer : Problem: HP Pavilion a1730n wont boot wont repond to keyboard

Your motherboard may be bad, if it won't work even with a bootable CD.  Try resetting the BIOS with the motherboard jumper first and if that doesn't work, I think you will have to replace the motherboard.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us