Question : Problem: Gigabyte server motherboard has crashed with raid hard drives

I need help. I have a Gigabyte server that has crashed. The motherboard uses an Intel 875p chipset with ICH5r, ICH6r, and ICH7r raid chipset. The hard drives, which are SATA, appear to be in a Raid 1 configuration. I did not set this server up. Therefore I am not 100% sure what the Raid configuration is. I need a way to access the data that is stored on these hard drives. I tried to go back with the same motherboard but that model has been discontinued. When I plug up the SATA drives to several computers the OS that is on the drive begins to load but stops abruptly. I don't know if that is a WIndows Small Business Server defense mechanism or the OS doesn't like the drastic hardware changes. I have tried to have a data guy get the data off.He has gotten some but some files he couldn't get due to resrtictions. How can I freely access the data on these hard drives? How can boot SMB Server without having the same configuration than when it was installed?

Answer : Problem: Gigabyte server motherboard has crashed with raid hard drives

Hopefully you have marked which drive was installed on which channel on the MB? 0, 1, 2, etc.

Find the Gigabyte page for that motherboard. It will tell you exactly what is going on for hardware. It should be ICH6r or one of the others, not all three.

You should be able to find the board, or equivalent chipset board easily. The RAID configuration, if the drives were not altered in any way should pick up no problem. Make sure the BIOS on the board is up to date.

Yes, the OS will have a hard time booting to a chipset/controller it was not installed with.

Do you have good backups?

Slave drive 0 up on another system and use GetMyDataBack (best) or Easy Recovery Pro to pull data. It is a bit by bit transfer of the data so permissions will be non-issue. If 0 is dead, use 1.

HTH,

Philip
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us