Question : Problem: A heat query and Catalyst Question

Hi
Current Spec
Intel Quad Q6600
2GB Ram 1000MHZ
550W PSU
ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT 512
250gb HD 16mb Cache (Windows Vista 32bt)
500gb HD 32mb Cach
22" Widescreen 1680 x 1050

My main question is regarding my Graphics Card, very fast never had any problems with it, runs everything fine, runs Assassins Creed with everything up to maxium :D but some times depending on the game, some old some new, my graphics card fan will kick in and expell some allmighty heat, there is also a backplate which I believe cools the RAM chips on the graphics card? And that can get so hot that its not possible to physicaly touch it.

I was just wondering if it was dangerous for it to get this hot? I imagine PC components are built to get hot, but I wasnt sure if this was getting too hot.

I read somewhere that in order to overclock your 2900 XT you need to supply extra power, the 2900 XT has two power connectors, a 6 and an 8 pin, like this:

[][][] | [][][][]
[][][] | [][][][]

It only requires two 6 pin connectors however, which I am using, I dont suppose this could cause me any problems? Thinking about it more power would probably cause more heat, but in the Catalyst software supplied by ATI when I used to have a AGP 850 XT I believe it was it had an Overdrive function which alloud me to monitor my GPU temperature, will having all power connectors connected allow this option to become avaliable to me?

Im also using just a normal case with very little ventilation, I have never had any shut down from overheat issues, as my CPU peaks at 40c and is idle at about 29 with the provided fan, usualy if im playing a stressfull game like Assassins I take the case side off to allow any heat to get out.

Was wondering if it is worth buying a case with extra fans and room if it would be safer for my graphics card?

My brother has this case

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-145-CM&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=29

Which provides cooling all around including top bottom front back and side of the case, would this seem a wise investment? Its relatively cheap too.

One last thing which I thought to be strange is my graphics card only gets hot when playing certain games, for instance when I play Crysis, which I have everything on Very High (except texture detail) and that runs fine about 40fps most of the time, and my card barely gets warm. But when I play say S.T.A.L.K.E.R which is quite an old game and not overly demanding it gets stupidly hot, just wondering if anyone new why that was?

So really Im just after advice or suggestions if I need further cooling?

Thanks Alot

Tom

Answer : Problem: A heat query and Catalyst Question

The HD2900 XT is notorious for its power consumption and heat generation:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-saving-guide,1611-7.html
http://www.nordichardware.com/news,6331.html

I believe it consumes more power than any other single video card, and that power is dissipated as heat.  Some games make the card work harder than others, which would account for the differences.  I would definitely get better cooling, and the case you listed has a lot of places for 120mm fans.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us