Question : Problem: Backup Exec 9.1 Backup Speed Issues

I am running Backup Exec 9.1 on a Win 2k Server, SP4 which has 3Gb memory.

A couple of weeks ago I backed up 250Gb Data onto our Ultrium tape drive and it took 8h 54m. Now, without changing tha backup job, or making any alterations to the server, the same job is taking 13 hours to complete. Having compared the two logs, the fast backup backed up the data on the D: drive, on the local server that Backup Exec and the tape drive are installed on, it backed up from the D Drive, 91.7Gb in 1h 17 mins at a throughput rate of 1129MB/min. Now, the slow backup is doing the same data, now 93.4Gb but is taking 5h 47 mins at a throughput rate of 257MB/min.

Can anyone explain why this happens, I would expect the local data, on the local server to Backup exec and the tape drive to be fast. Why has it dropped so dramatically?

This srver also runs Exchange 2000, it has happened that the Exchange backups in the past were quick, then like above, slowed right down again, but Exchange is currently OK at present and backing up at a throughput rate of 3636MB/min.

Any suggestions or ideas would be most welcome and thanks in advance.

Dave

Answer : Problem: Backup Exec 9.1 Backup Speed Issues

Something is running on the server that is hogging the disk.

Any new Exchange patches or updates ?

Antivirus ?

take a good look at all running processes, and use Perfmon to start monitoring Disk IO ad other counters that are relevant.

See the Perfmon Help for a place to start.

I hope this helps !
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us