Question : Problem: Overriding client keyboard layouts

Is there anyway, in 2003, to override a clients keyboard layout and have them fixed to the UK?

We have tonnes of thin clients, of various makes, and we seem to have issues with users connecting to our TS boxes and reporting that they have US keyboard layouts. Now, I suspect the problem is 50% duff-stuff, and 50% that some of our chaps just arent reading the setup list correctly.

However, I'm sick of having to deal with the managers moaning at me. So, I'm after a way that I can say "Ignore whatever keyboard layout the thin client reports to have and JUST USE THE UK !".

Is that possible in any way, shape, or form ?

Olly

Answer : Problem: Overriding client keyboard layouts

Please try one of the following methods to stop your Windows 2000/2003 terminal/citrix server from detecting thin clients' keyboard layouts:

1. Edit the registry manually on your servers so that the "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout\IgnoreRemoteKeyboardLayout" DWORD value has data equal to "1". (You may have to create this value.)

2. Add the following to a computer Startup script via Active Directory Group Policy or a similar scripting method (make sure it is all in one line):

REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout" /v IgnoreRemoteKeyboardLayout /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

3. Put the following in a *.reg file and run it on each server.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
"IgnoreRemoteKeyboardLayout"=dword:00000001

I hope this helps!

Jeremy Denegar
Manager of Information Technology
Township of Esquimalt
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us