Question : Problem: my computer is making a clicking noise when i try to start it.

the error i get is:
Nvidia Boot Agent 220.0518
copyright stuff
copyright stuff
CLIENT MAC ADDR 00 16 17 5F 40 52
GUID:00020003-0004-0005-0006-000700080009
DCHP......ends with some symbol that spins like an airplane propeller

it makes an intermittent clicking noise before showing this error message. it started on the third try. computer ran fine all day. i even rebooted the computer several times through out the day to see if i would get the error message again but i did not. this evening i shut it off for about an hour and got the error message again. i don't know a lot about computers so i am completely baffled.

Answer : Problem: my computer is making a clicking noise when i try to start it.

If all that is on a black screen with white letters, before it EVER gets to the operating system (windows, etc), that DHCP message with the spinning character indicates your machine is trying to boot from the network card.  -This condition could return if you don't hunt it down.  It could be because your hard drive is not connected well, so the BIOS skips the HD and goes on to the next boot device specified until it finds something, ie; the Network card, which tries to find a DHCP server to establish it's IP address and thus start booting from a network.

Things to check:

CMOS Battery -seated properly or dead/needs replacement.

Hard drive connections -make sure all connections are seated properly to the drive and the motherboard.

BIOS Boot order - make sure HD is first in list (or second, after CDROM).  -If Network Card is in boot order, see if you can remove it.

The Network card is intergrated to the mobo and will not have become loose.  I imagine the Modem is, too, and you don't boot from a modem, anyway.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us