Question : Problem: PC randomly starts (Wake on LAN enabled)

I need help. I am utilising (and need to) the Wake on LAN feature of my M/B's (ASUS K8U-X) built-in NIC. Originally it worked brilliantly, but now, when I shut my PC down in the evening, I will come back a few minutes later to find it started again. Sometimes it can be a few minutes, other times a few seconds after shut down. There really is no pattern to it.

I have tested by pulling out the Ethernet jack from the wall, and I then do not get random starts, which would indicate to me the WoL feature is causing it. I have upgraded the BIOS to the latest version (1001) today, but that has not helped matters. I have 2 servers on my network, but they are not pinging my PC or sending WoL packets across the network. No other devices, except of course a router, a few switches and an Access Point are switched on.

Can anyone offer some insight into why my PC would randomly start like this? Why is it starting to seemingly any bit of data it can pick up (rather than just a WoL packet targeted at the NIC's MAC address), and could an AP cause this to happen? Switching the PC off at the wall is not an option as I need the WoL feature.

Answer : Problem: PC randomly starts (Wake on LAN enabled)

Could an AP cause this to happen?
Yes, so can other networking hardware.

Something is checking to see if the other PC's on the LAN are still there by (I assume) pinging the MAC Addresses.
An AP might do that.

Did you just add an AP?
Or any other networking hardware?
Another PC on the LAN even?

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us