Question : Problem: Vid card upgrade - Install ATI 9800 Pro

This is a long story so I'll try to give you the short version.

I have a system with a Creative Nvidia card in an Abit KT7-Raid mobo. Swapped in ATI 9800 Pro & it wouldn't post, lights on, fans run, nothing on screen, nothing. Put Creative card back, same thing! Put in older ATI card, boots OK. Removed 2 PCI cards and disconnected case fans. Creative card booted OK, new 9800P did not.

With Creative card in, reinstalled PCI cards, boot OK, connected 1 case fan, no boot. Disconnected fan still no boot. Replaced 1 year old TT420W PSU with new Enermax 350WPSU, no boot. Eventually got everything back to where I started and booting with original Creative card. Sometimes slow to begin showing text screens but does boot. Sometimes seems to respond to several angry pushes of power button but not sure.

Flashed BIOS. Creative boots, 9800P doesn't. Tried 9800P in another PC, no problems and yes I am plugging in power to 9800P. Am I missing something? Is there a compatibility issue with this mobo? Need help!

Answer : Problem: Vid card upgrade - Install ATI 9800 Pro

The Abit KT7-RAID is a somewhat old motherboard - I have one with a 1200MHz AMD T-Bird running in it.  ATI does know about power issues with this card: http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4486.html
The KT7-RAID handles AGP4x, so in theory, it should work with the 9800Pro.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us