Question : Problem: DISK IMAGING AND RAID (just for PRO's)

Hello,
I have a hard question to you. Here we go...

WHAT I HAVE
A P4, 3.2 GHZ, hyperthreading
a DVD BURNER
a RAID 1 array (INTEL ICH5) - SATA 150 - formatted in FAT32
this array contains the main Windows XP system

WHAT I WANT TO DO:
primary objective: I want to create a hard disk image on DVD of my main RAID.
secondary objective: When restauring that hard disk from the image created, I want to boot from CD and then use the restoration process,
on the RAID, I mean, at that point the RAID should be active (drivers loaded) and the restoration program should restore the ARRAY not A DRIVE!
When I say the array, I say, both drives at the same time.

What is the best way and HOW TO DO THAT?
Ghost? Drive Image? V2i Protector?
forget R-DRIVE IMAGE (it has crashed my system)
forget TRUEIMAGE 7 (it is very fancy but all images created are always corrupted)

I ask you guys to read carefully what I am saying on this question. It is not a regular question about imaging a drive. I use programs like DriveImage and Ghost for a long time and I know that it is not so easy to image a RAID!

Thanks!

Answer : Problem: DISK IMAGING AND RAID (just for PRO's)

I've tried powerquest products like drive image, and they do not backup open XP files -- the test is to do a single clone of a drive, make it bootable, and it fails to read the registry correctly or boot correctly.  Now maybe in the past weeks or months, they have finally fixed their problems, but up until several months ago, their product could not be used reliably on any drive greater than 80 GB because it would not read the larger sectors -- constant read write errors.  I have big clients who have refused to use drive image because of its extreme unreliability, and they won't go back.  Almost all of them go to Ghost 2003 or later, because it is reliable.  I've yet to see this from the Drive Image product, maybe the latest will do.

My main point was that a RAID of 2 drives is a single drive to the system (drive 2 is not separate) so his main desire of backing up the RAID as 2 separate drives is fictitious -- there is only one drive to backup as far as the devices in the system and the OS is concerned.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us