Question : Problem: Is it possible to add a third monitor to a notebook with docking station and if so, how?

I have a Dell Latitude notebook that is docked in a port replicator. On the back of the replicator there are two video connections: one digital (white connector) and one analog (blue connector). Currently, I have a wide-screen monitor plugged into the digital connector. The wide-screen monitor is my primary display, and my desktop is extended to the notebook's lcd. I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3.

I have another older flat panel monitor that has analog capability. Is it possible to either:
1) Use that monitor as my secondary instead of the notebook's lcd?
or
2) Use all three monitors?

If 1 or 2 is possible, please suggest how I would set it up.
Thanks!

Answer : Problem: Is it possible to add a third monitor to a notebook with docking station and if so, how?

It should be possible for you to use both the DVI and the VGA outputs for two additional monitors - in addition to your laptop's screen - giving you a total of 3 monitors.

Since your laptop is running Windows XP, it would just be as simple as connecting up the third monitor to the VGA port. Then, open your Display properties and go to the 'Settings' tab (where you set up monitor resolution and so on). In there, you will see a third monitor icon, which is greyed out - select it, choose the option to extend your desktop to that monitor, and then set the appropriate resolution.

Let me know how you get on,

-Matt
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us